PC Surgery

I was in front of my computer, surfing the net and watching Harry Potter -- yes, both at the same time -- when my PC Alert program suddenly came out. Perplexed, I scanned through the various fan and voltage indicators splashed on the screen. When I saw that my CPU fan was not working, my eyes just popped!

From a straight line rpm of 4200, it sloped down towards nil! "Beeeep...beeeep...beeeep," shrieked the PC speaker, my messenger of doom. Then, I realized that the CPU temperature rose from 64 degrees C to a near-scalding point of 85 degrees C!

In a flurry of movements, I clumsily groped for the mouse, clicked on the shutdown button, waited wide-eyed as the OS took its time, and so in a flash decision rushed to press the off button on the PC casing instead.

My PC was dead.

Well, not really. It was having what I'd call a near death experience. “It's not his time,” I said. I took out my surgical tool (the screwdriver) and sliced open my computer (with no anesthesia, to think!). I performed a bypass operation on the CPU fan's power supply, stitched the PC casing closed, pushed the PC button on, and then voila! My PC is alive again.

Whew!

(I wonder if it got to see that light at the end of the tunnel, hehe.)