Memoirs of Summer I


My vision is paled by water that buffets the car windows. Everything is wet. People are rushing to take leave from the onslaught of rains. They all want to go home. So did I.

As it turns out, my home is now a refuge from the subsequent deluge after the rains. Lightning pummels continuously, creating these frightening sounds that rattle the earth. The winds whispher, but the raindrops are spilling like bullets. Mother nature is rapt in anger and crying.

Dwarfed by the forces of nature, I take comfort in bed and read my books. Gasp! The ceiling bulb has just fizzled out.

I sit in the dark, my body bent with my arms hugging my knees. Everything becomes visible for a moment, but only when sparks from the sky fly.

In this darkest of hours, it is best to welcome a generous and steady light, even if the light comes from a mere recollection of the past. I now allow parts of my memory to seep through, causing the sun to beam in my mind.

I find myself remembering summer...

The sun was strong; I felt oppressed by the heat. But it did not curb my enthusiasm. I was game for adventuring. I had plans.

I arranged for one group of friends to go to the telltale beauty and expanse of Avilon Zoo, followed by a look on some Japanese limestone caves, and concluded by a picnic in Wawa dam at Montalban. I've got everything planned, from the expenses to the time table.

It's a pity this plan didn't push through.

Not one to be dispirited, I found the idea of planning outings more exciting.

I heard about the sublime Caleruega church near Tagaytay. And by synchronicity, a friend (J~) came back to the country for the summer. She also wanted to see Tagaytay. It took only two week's time of waiting, and then we were there.

In the streets towards Caleruega, we were welcomed by an expansive land filled with rolling hills. As we sped along the road, the hill tops were like waves that softly supersede one another.

Inside the compound, everything felt serene. We walked along the clear pathways. We basked in the colors from diverse plants adorning the landscape. The stone houses -- fully-furnished for retreats -- cooled our eyes.

As we walked near the church, I realized the doors look like netted butterfly wings. A closer inspection revealed diverging stems crawling on the door's metal-outlined glass surface.

Past this door, a carving similar to Michaelangelo's Creation Scene is attached on the wall to the right.

Walking towards the altar, our eyes were bathed by a kaleidoscope of colors. We could see the stained glass, depicting Jesus, Moses, and Elijah, occupying the entire backdrop. Large, ornately-crafted wood pieces serve as the altar and the podium. The entire place is just apple for the eyes.

From Caleruega, I found my mind racing to People's Park in the Sky. Again there was this feeling of expansiveness, being at the highest point in Tagaytay. The clouds are near; the air is tighter; and the flatlands seem to stretch forever.

But then, my mind replaced the flatlands with the sea. I now saw myself alternately in the shores of Puerto Galera, Camotes Island, and Bora.

To be continued...